Saturday, March 27, 2010

Colombia

Ever since being in California I have decorated my bedroom walls with various photos and drawings that I have made over the years. While at a Woman's Group years ago, I created a collage of things that represent me. On one in particular, I have a drawing of myself that was captured from a painting I completed back in '02. Next to that, I have a sketch of my little cat, Phoebe who meant so much to me. (may she rest in kitty heaven) Moving across this collage also is a drawing of my very close friend Laura who had passed in '99. Next, a cross, which represents my higher power. Finally, in the far right is a drawing I made of the colombian flag.

As I get older, I find myself being drawn closer to my roots as well as getting closer to my Colombian ancestors who I believe to be walking with me through my life day to day. The difference today as I looked at my collage was that I really paid close attention to the writing next to my flag. At that time of creating this collage, I was very interested in what each color meant on the Colombian flag. Since then I have not paid much attention until today.

Yellow: symbolizes sovereignty and justice
Blue: nobility, loyalty and vigilance
Red: valor, honor, generosity and victory achieved at the high cost of bloodshed

Reading this really put a smile on my face. Yes, I am Colombian, there is no doubt in that! As I perceiver to the next chapter in my life, I am so glad that I am able to use what life experience I have thus far and use it to reach out to others. It is of no mistake that I am in the profession I am in, one that requires human contact and being present and attentive to others in their own process. I am getting so very close of becoming a Marriage and Family Therapist- just that alone makes me so excited. I want my professional dreams to happen yesterday, but I know, great things happen to those who wait and who are patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment